MESA Community College Program Components
- An orientation course that introduces students to STEM careers, learning strategies, and other tools for success.
- Academic Excellence Workshops that teach collaborative learning techniques to help students master complex concepts and succeed in STEM courses.
- Academic advising to keep students on track.
- A designated study center where students do homework and establish a learning community.
- Personal assistance in transferring to a university.
- Direct administrative support for students, which includes a director, faculty, and advisor support.
- At participating community colleges, MESA students were more likely to persist, transfer to a university, and earn a STEM-related bachelor’s degree than other under-represented students pursuing STEM studies at those colleges.
- Compared to the rest of the community college system, MESA colleges produce a greater share of Associate of Science-Transfer degrees (AS-T) with more diverse graduates.
Increased degree production
Preliminary research results of MESA show 52 percent of students entering the MESA program between 2011 and 2013 went on to earn a two-year degree by 2016. Nearly half earned a STEM degree.
Graduates became more diverse
- MESA colleges produced more AS-T degrees between 2010 and 2015 by graduating a greater share of under-represented students who might otherwise have chosen a non-STEM path.
- The colleges increased the share of STEM degrees by 5 percent for Black/African-American, Hispanic/Latino, Alaska Native/Native Americans and Pacific Islanders compared to the rest of the college system.
- MESA graduates are also more likely to be first-generation college students (47 percent compared to 43 percent), and they are more likely to be women (30 percent compared to 26 percent).
- In the first MESA graduating class of 2011-12, 100 percent of the students who earned bachelor’s degrees majored in STEM fields.
See the Washington MESA one-pagerigkbet娱乐官网 for more background and research.
All igkbet娱乐官网 Washington MESA
- Program supporting STEM students to expand to 6 additional colleges (October 2017 news release)
College MESA programs
Twelve Washington state community colleges offer MESA Community College Programs and centers, with two partnering universities (University of Washington and Washington State University).
- *, Vancouver
- , Pasco
- *, Auburn
- , Des Moines
- , Bremerton
- Tacoma Community College*
igkbet娱乐官网The six newest MESA programs (marked *) were notified late 2017 and are building their programs.
Last Modified: 9/18/18 12:03 PM