As of fall 2016, Professional-Technical and Applied Baccalaureate Common Course (P/TCC) gives Washington state community and technical colleges a process similar to the original Common Course Numbering process, with some key differences.
Why common course numbering for professional-technical courses?
- P/TCC focuses on prof/tech and BAS courses with common learning outcomes.
- The P/TCC approval process builds in stakeholder collaboration and year-round responsiveness.
- The process allows for prompt approval from college system councils and commissions so colleges can respond to student and industry needs more quickly.
- Common professional-technical and applied baccalaureate courses may be developed in response to employer need, grant deliverables or to meet licensure or certification requirements.
Benefits to students and employers
- Makes it easier for students to transfer professional-technical and applied baccalaureate course credits between community and technical colleges.
- Enhances student transfer and encourages degree completion.
- Demonstrates common course outcomes so employers can quickly identify skills and knowledge a student has mastered.
The Instruction Commission asked the Workforce Education Council (WEC) to develop a process to help colleges develop and receive approval for common professional-technical courses.
igkbet娱乐官网P/TCC was created in response to a demonstrated need for an agile and responsive process separate from — but similar to — the CCN process.
The earlier Common Course Numbering (CCN) initiative identified and aligned academic courses most frequently offered, while P/TCC focuses on vocational courses with common outcomes.
A professional-technical course offered by two or more community and technical colleges is considered common if the colleges jointly agree on the course title, description, credits, outcomes, proposed department/division designation and number.
igkbet娱乐官网Collaborating colleges may also agree to common curricular elements, texts, assessments, equipment and/or other aspects of the course, but those factors are not necessary requirements to participate in a P/TCC adoption.
igkbet娱乐官网P/TCC does not apply to:
- Precollege (remedial/developmental) education
- Basic Skills (adult basic education, GED®, English language or high school completion).
igkbet娱乐官网Courses approved as P/TCC are identified in a manner similar to academic CCN courses.
igkbet娱乐官网P/TCC are designated by the first 4 letters of the department/division, the ampersand symbol "&" and the 3-digit course number (e.g. AUTO& 135).
igkbet娱乐官网P/TCC will be in a searchable and sortable PTCCN Matrix spreadsheet.
At this time, P/TCC are not part of the CCN online database. This may change as the program evolves.
igkbet娱乐官网New procedures consistent with ctcLink will be adopted as system requirements change.
Professional-Technical Common Course Matrix
P/TCCs are designated by the first 4 letters of the department/division, the ampersand symbol "&" and the 3-digit course number (e.g. AUTO& 135).
igkbet娱乐官网 Last Modified: 7/30/19 2:09 PM