The State Board for Community and Technical Colleges commissioned in 2008 a taskforce of Board members, trustees, presidents, faculty and SBCTC staff to undertake a Mission Study to gain a better understanding of where Washington’s community and technical college system was at the time and where it needs to be in the future.
Strengthening state and local economies by meeting the demands for a well-educated and skilled workforce.
Achieving increased educational attainment for all residents across the state.
Using technology, collaboration and innovation to meet the demands of the economy and improve student success.
- Understand how well the community and technical college system is serving the people of Washington state in all three mission areas: academic transfer, workforce education and basic skills.
- Understand future needs and strategic challenges based on demographic, economic, financial and cultural trends over the next 20 years.
- Identify emerging, effective means of delivering education to adults from our own experiences and from the successes of others.
- Make policy recommendations to the State Board about the future size and shape of the college system, including recommendations about future investment of resources.
igkbet娱乐官网The overarching goal of the Mission Study is to find more and better ways to reduce barriers and expand opportunities so more Washingtonians can reach higher levels of education. This study provides a long-term outlook at how community and technical college education will need to change and grow to meet the needs and expectations of future learners.
- Serve more people, including groups who have been underserved in the past.
- Close the statewide skills gap for technically trained workers.
- Increase funding for adult basic skills programs.
- Contribute more to the production of baccalaureate degrees.
- Work with our partners in the P-20 education system to create seamless, easy to-navigate pathways for all students.
- Use performance measures and funding as incentives to improve student retention and achievement.
- Invest in sustaining faculty and staff excellence.
- Build a 21st century learning infrastructure.
- Promote the adoption of web-based and mobile technology tools for eLearning and online student services.
- Devote a larger share of system resources to teaching and learning by making smarter use of technology and promoting efficiencies in college district governance.
Read the Mission Studyigkbet娱乐官网 and learn what the community and technical college system is doing for current and future students.
Last Modified: 9/11/18 1:26 PM