Pathways to College and igkbet娱乐官网 for Washington’s Emerging Workforce
Under the guidance of the Governor-appointed Adult Education Advisory Counciligkbet娱乐官网, the 2014–2019 state plan reflects insights from public planning documents and extensive open forums and surveys. The plan shapes the future of adult basic education in Washington and ensures that adult basic education and English language education will open up new career pathways and educational opportunities for adults whose limited skills or English might otherwise hold them back.
The five-year plan provides policy level guidance to implement a comprehensive college and career readiness pathway to ensure Washingtonians have the skills needed to succeed. The college and career pathway model identifies students’ short and long term goals from the very beginning, and puts them in a contextualized learning environment. Students learn skills and practice and apply them in areas that have meaning in their lives and to their careers.
igkbet娱乐官网The pathways allow students to progress as skills are developed and outcomes met rather than focusing on seat time — allowing students to greatly accelerate progression. Students can often bypass years of basic skills and precollege (remedial/developmental) education.
All adult Washingtonians will have access to innovative, high quality education programs that provide the knowledge, skills and credentials necessary for securing family sustaining employment that strengthens the state and local economies.
The adult education system will provide research-proven instruction and college and career readiness pathways that allow adults to master academic and technical skills to attain their career and educational goals and successfully navigate education and employment opportunities.
- Implement and scale comprehensive, innovative college and career pathways to accelerate student completion and foster economic growth.
- Guide and support transformational instructional practices that accelerate student completion to certificates, the tipping point, and AA/BA degrees leading to family sustaining employment.
- Contextualize adult education courses to support transition to high school completion and equivalency certification, postsecondary education, and employment.
- Strengthen and maintain a culture of rigorous instruction and evidence of increased performance.
- Create and maintain strategic alliances to leverage local resources and increase navigational support to students.
Foster student self-efficacy.
Transition Year: WIOA Requirements Revisions to Adult Education 5-Year Plan
On July 22, 2014, the federal Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) legislation passed. As required by the Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education (OCTAE) we have drafted Washington’s Basic Education for Adults transition plan for 2015–16 and incorporated feedback received on the plan. The below draft has been submitted to OCTAE and this is the plan required to complete current providers 2015–16 BEdA Master Grant Extension Application. We see the implementation of WIOA as Washington’s chance to leverage our state’s innovations and successes to reset, expand and scale up these proven best practices that all of our agencies have created and now support.
The purpose of the act is to improve the workforce by reducing welfare dependency, increasing economic self-sufficiency, meeting the skill requirements of employers, and enhancing productivity and the competitiveness of the nation. It requires better alignment and collaboration between all of the vital workforce programs in our state. OCTAE is beginning to align the measurements they have for our funding titles. This will help remove the barriers of who may serve whom and for how long. The titles specific to WIOA are:
- Title I: Workforce Development Activities
Employment and Training programs
Disadvantaged Youth igkbet娱乐官网
Economically Disadvantaged Adult services
Dislocated Worker Program
- Title II: Basic Education for Adults
- Title III: Wagner-Peyser Employment igkbet娱乐官网
- Title IV: Vocational Rehabilitation igkbet娱乐官网
igkbet娱乐官网The three key principles to keep in mind are:
- Program alignment: this involves unified strategic planning across all core programs.
- Increased accountability: establishes common performance measures across core programs.
- Enhanced service delivery: Requires the engagement of employers and alignment of education and training activities through the establishment of career pathways.
Adult Education 5-Year Plan
Read the Washington State Adult Education 5-Year Plan 2014–2019igkbet娱乐官网. Revised for WIOA requirements for transition state plan 2015-2016.
igkbet娱乐官网 Last Modified: 9/11/18 1:26 PM